I wanted to write a tribute to my marriage. I was going to say all the cliche things that are expected when writing a tribute to marriage/husbands. I think that I am just going to ramble instead. Bear with me as I hash this all out. It has been 10 years today that I married Travis. I had known Travis for about 5 years before we married. From day one we have been friends. He has always been the guy that is easy to talk to. I know that his whole family could attest to that. He is understanding and a good listener (as long as race cars and motorcycles are not within ear shot:)). I am stubborn, He is a perfectionist. I am scatterbrained, He is organized. I am clean, He is cleaner. I am loud, He isn't. I say too much, He has tact. We are so different in so many ways, but I can almost always tell what he is thinking and I love that power :). We have both changed a lot, especially in the last few years. We are not the same people we were ten years ago. We have argued and made up countless times. Sometimes it was truly hard to be married. We have both learned to sacrifice in our own ways and at our own pace. We have both learned to choose our battles. He has learned how to love me and I have learned how to love him (This his is still a work in progress for both of us). We have had our testimonies strengthened through prayer, hardship, fasting, and kids. Having kids has brought us closer than I ever thought possible. Trying to raise and guide little ones in the right path......I don't know how to explain it, but seeing Travis as a dad, and making decisions to teach the kids, has really increased my respect and love for him SO much. Ten years isn't a long time compared to eternity, or even 20 years, for that matter. But it is a milestone to reflect on. Let me just end with this: I love Travis. I appreciate him and all he does to help me to be happy. He is a wonderful and conscientious provider. He is patient with me when I am being a girl and an over indulgent mom. I admire him as a hard worker (I feel lazy compared to him). He has made me laugh everyday that I have known him. I can honestly say that. IF I believed in Soul mates, I found mine.
4 comments:
Oh...this is so sweet. We sat down to breakfast this morning, and I said to Kacen, "Uncle Trav and Aunt Heather have been married for TEN years today." We've been thinking about you guys. You're a great couple. I hope you have a wonderful 2nd honeymoon this weekend.
Really? Has is really been 10 years??? We have been home from our missions for that long! Congratulations to you and your great marriage!
That was beautiful, Heather. I remember when you and Travis first met, and were such instant friends. You're a beautiful, special couple, and it's been fun to see you grow together (from the distance that I get to watch, of course). Happy Anniversary!
On my mission, one of our bishops married a couple we were teaching so they could get baptized. He gave them this bit of "advice" that I was reminded of just now as I read your tribute:
"Marriage is about love, and about change. When you look back 20 years from now, you will see how you've both changed. I hear many frustrated couples say 'well, s/he isn't the same wo/man I married 20 years ago.' Of course not! We ALL change over time. The point of marriage is to work to make those changes bring us closer together."
Looks like you two are good at that. :)
Love your post! Thanks for sharing! Congrats on 10 years! I forsee many more happy years ahead! :)
Post a Comment