"pick 'em up and put em down!" That is what I remember when I think of the Lotts. A sweet couple from my mission that served in the Mesa Temple Visitor's Center (VC). One of the duties of the couples was to make sure all the sisters got home from the VC safely. Mostly they would follow behind in their cars. After all, there were usually 10 of us on shift, and we wouldn't all fit in the car (Although, I think we did try to a time or two). The above quote is what I remember Elder Lott yelling out his window as he followed us.
I served with them the most when I was in the long stretch of companionship with my dear S. Stott. Each companionship rotated positions throughout the VC. We would be coupled with the Lotts a lot of the time. It was always fun to chat with them on the slow days. E. Lott was a farmer from Idaho. He had a farm mouth which he censored, of coarse. He would tell stories of farm life. Animal problems and machine problems. He would talk of his beautiful wife, his "little La" ( her first name LaDawn). He was always so witty and funny, she was so sweet and loving. Sis. Stott and I would fantasize about being a part of their family. What would it be like to go to a Lott family reunion? I bet wonderful and entertaining, would be the answer!
One afternoon, they went around and took pictures of the companionships and some of us by ourselves too. I remember honestly feeling honored to be a subject of their memories caught on film (back in the day of 35mm cameras). I didn't learn until later that they had ulterior motives. I received a letter from an Elder .....I don't remember what his last name was. First name, Matt. I do remember that. He was still on his mission in California and said that he had gotten a letter from his grandparents who were serving in Arizona. They had sent him a picture of this sister missionary, whom they thought he should write. Haha!! I was flattered, embarrassed and thought it was hilarious that they could be so conniving...is that the right word? Conspiratorial?
I did end up writing Matt the rest of our missions, he planned on coming to my home coming until he found out I was engaged the day after I got home. So, I didn't become a member of the Lott family. Elder Lott died of Leukemia a year after I returned home from my mission. I was able to attend his funeral and see Sister Lott....and Matt :) I still very much love and miss the Lotts. I just ran into Sister Lott at the temple a couple of weeks ago. It brought back these precious memories. I am grateful for such fabulous examples and fond memories!

Elder and Sister Lott. This was at the end of my mission. Elder Lott had been diagnosed with Leukemia and was undergoing chemo (above)
Sister Stott and I (below)
1 comment:
Those are sweet memories. For what it is worth, I'm glad that you didn't become a member of the Lott family. We kind of like you in ours!
Post a Comment