Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas Party Weekend Traditions

December 4th was the annual Phelps Family Christmas party. It was in Grantsville, UT. I was happy to see a lot of the family there. This is from my Dad's side of the family and it is quite large. But quite of few cousins and families were there. It was fun! Always lots of food and of coarse a little program. This year Bodie was asked to be a shepherd for part of the program. Aunt DeeAnn orchestrated a little Nativity performance. I put together a makeshift costume and he had fun having a responsibility.



Of coarse Santa came. The kids love to sit on Santa's Lap



Well, except Jax. He was happy as long as he wasn't sitting on Santa's lap. I even tried to tell him it was just Grandpa, but he wouldn't have any of it.


After the BIG party, we settled in at Aunt Deeanne's house for our
little family Christmas party. We had a white elelphant gift exchange. Brandon happened to forget his and Melissa's presents and so he scored the house for something to wrap. Needless to say that the people who opened his gifts couldn't actually take them home. One present being a family picture of one of Deeanne's kids and the other being the house phone. Silly Brandon!


We have made it the tradition to go to Temple Square every year after the parties. I LOVE this tradition. It was way crowded and hard to find a place to park, but well worth the it! It took us 5 minutes to get up to the Christus because of so many people. It was hard to not be aggrivated because of the crowds and chaos. As we were inching our way up the ramp, Harlee said, "Mom I always feel so warm when I see the Jesus Statue." I am grateful for a little girl that among the busyness and craziness she can still feel and recognize the spirit. That experience made it all worth it!


Jax was more concerned with how far up we were.


We also got to see the big fountain and the reflection pool. The "big big water" as Jax called it.



I love Christmas traditions and the spirit of family and Christ. I am so thankful for my children and their testimonies and examples. I am also grateful for a husband, that despite his impatience for traffic and crowds, helps to make positive and spiritual experiences for our little family.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Great holiday traditions! I think it is great that you go to temple square, helps you remember what Christmas is all about. Wish Kolby and I were closer to see temple square too. We would drive down from Idaho to see it when we lived there.

Kyle and Tiffany said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! I love temple square at Christmas. It's been awhile since I've been down there at this time of year, though. I'm glad that you guys had a good time.